Why does the Google feed product description get truncated?

Posted By thedrumdoctor Wed 9 May 2018
Add to Favorites0
thedrumdoctor
 Posted Wed 9 May 2018
Supreme Being

Supreme Being - (61,175 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,175 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,175 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,175 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,175 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,175 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,175 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,175 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,175 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Mon 21 May 2018
I've just noticed that the Google product feed truncates the product description field which is a bit annoying for the other shopping channels we use which need the full description. Is there a way to replicate the SQL command that creates a Google product feed to get the full product description into a CSV file?

*UPDATE*

Although this doesn't sove the Google Feed truncation, I discovered there is a stored procedure in the DB: spKartrisLanguageElements_GetByLanguageID which can be run from Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio locally on a downloaded DB using the value integer of the store (in my case 1) which pulls out all of the products and data.

The caveat here is, it doesn't pull out image links, but you can get these from the back-end Google Feed generation facility. The stored procedure pulls out enough info to populate any of the shopping feed requirements out there. It would be nice to get a query that only pulls live products and includes an image link, but for now, this will work for our non-Google shopping feed requirements.
Fri 18 May 2018 by thedrumdoctor
Tiggywiggler
 Posted Wed 6 Jun 2018
Supreme Being

Supreme Being - (105,286 reputation)Supreme Being - (105,286 reputation)Supreme Being - (105,286 reputation)Supreme Being - (105,286 reputation)Supreme Being - (105,286 reputation)Supreme Being - (105,286 reputation)Supreme Being - (105,286 reputation)Supreme Being - (105,286 reputation)Supreme Being - (105,286 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Mon 6 Dec 2021
The reason is that the Google product feed gets its data from ProductsBLL.GetProductsPageByCategory(), which in turn gets its data from the DB stored procedure spKartrisProducts_GetRowsBetweenByCatID() and this uses the function dbo.fnKartrisDB_TruncateDescription() to truncate the description. I don't know why, it uses this function, but as this is used for category pages it may be that this is done to prevent the category pages having excessively large sections for products with long descriptions.

Your options are:

1. Write a new stored procedure just for Google feeds (not recommended, it's a beast).
2. Remove the call to dbo.fnKartrisDB_TruncateDescription() from spKartrisProducts_GetRowsBetweenByCatID() but you may end up with long descriptions appearing in the category view pages (as mentioned above).
3. load the product again from within the Google feed code block via a method that doesn't truncate the description.

Let me know which option is most attractive to you, and if you want I can explain how to make it happen.

We are always willing to help out the community or pitch in to help you fix a problem. However, if you want a complete solution made such as a code module or new feature added you have two options. Either
1) Reach out to the Kartris internal development team at http://www.kartris.com/Contact.aspx.
2) Contact one of the Kartris approved partners at http://www.kartris.com/t-Worldwide-Developers.aspx.

Have fun and good luck coding.