Styling like North West Tea

Posted By DesignTechieUK Tue 17 Jan 2012
Rated stars based on 1 vote.
Add to Favorites1
DesignTechieUK
 Posted Tue 17 Jan 2012
Supreme Being

Supreme Being - (4,203 reputation)Supreme Being - (4,203 reputation)Supreme Being - (4,203 reputation)Supreme Being - (4,203 reputation)Supreme Being - (4,203 reputation)Supreme Being - (4,203 reputation)Supreme Being - (4,203 reputation)Supreme Being - (4,203 reputation)Supreme Being - (4,203 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Thu 22 Jan 2015
Hello Guys,

Right so I have had a good play with the styling and manipulation of the master and I cannot achieve the same or similar styling to that achieved by www.northwestteas.co.uk . I have had a look at their styling and they seem to be using some scripting and they are not using the any of kartris menus. That's fine. I get that. What I am having difficulties with getting the square product display which they have and if I really want to be difficult I really want that for categories on the main page and subcategories on child pages.

Surely not that difficult. I want to disable featured, recent, etc. Just have a catalogue type shop with product categories on page one (Approx 12) and then up to 12 subcategories on child pages. I want them to updated from the back end. 

I will have more questions as i get closer to achieving my desired look but for now this is about it.

Hope you can all help. Seriously any help will be good.

Thanks
Neil
 Posted Wed 18 Jan 2012
Supreme Being

Supreme Being - (109,811 reputation)Supreme Being - (109,811 reputation)Supreme Being - (109,811 reputation)Supreme Being - (109,811 reputation)Supreme Being - (109,811 reputation)Supreme Being - (109,811 reputation)Supreme Being - (109,811 reputation)Supreme Being - (109,811 reputation)Supreme Being - (109,811 reputation)

Last Active: Sat 3 Nov 2018
If the menu will not ever change then I guess you could hard-code it in the template. I don't really think this would be beneficial as you can style the menu to look how you want anyway.

I remember reading about a way of having a different skin for the homepage and other pages, perhaps one of the devs will be able to confirm this. This way you could control what menu appears where (changing the menu on different would not confuse visitors?)

The backend config settings allow you to turn on/off many thing like thumbnail sizes, number or items per page etc - the rest can be styled with CSS.
DesignTechieUK
 Posted Wed 18 Jan 2012
Supreme Being

Supreme Being - (4,203 reputation)Supreme Being - (4,203 reputation)Supreme Being - (4,203 reputation)Supreme Being - (4,203 reputation)Supreme Being - (4,203 reputation)Supreme Being - (4,203 reputation)Supreme Being - (4,203 reputation)Supreme Being - (4,203 reputation)Supreme Being - (4,203 reputation)

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the feedback. Paul has emailed me today with a few suggestions. I have copied his email in for everyone's benefit. 

>>>>>>>>>>>

Hi Leon

This layout should be achievable.

In the default skin (skins/kartris/) we have two .master files. One is called'template' and the other 'homepage'. Kartris will use the template one for allpages, but if there is a file called 'homepage.master' it will use that insteadfor the home page only. If you remove this file from the skin, Kartris will usethe template.master for all pages (i.e. you will have the category menu there).

To get a CSS fold out menu, in the back end use the search to find 'menu'. Oneof the config settings found will be menu type. Change this to 'c' (CSS) andyou will see a similar menu to the NorthwestTeas site.

To change what widgets are shown on the homepage, you can typically turn somefeatures off from various config settings (might take a bit of searching) oryou can edit them directly in the default.aspx on the root of the site.

It's worth signing up to the freeaspnetcart.comsite if you haven't already; all of us hang out there and try to help withquestions like this and that way the answers can help future users with similarproblems too.

best regards

Paul

>>>>>>>>>

Following Paul's advice - I copied the HomePage.master and HomePage.master.vb into my skins folder. No surprises that is completely broke my home page. There doesn't appear to any elements built into the HomePage.master. It does restructure the whole site but not as expected. So my question is...

Should I really be making changes to the Default.aspx. Would it not not be preferable to get the layout right on the HomePage.master as this takes preference over everything. 

The category Menu does not come in from the HomePage.master either as Paul describes. Instead the bits in the cntMain Place holder are in the template.master. so adding 

<div class="chunk">

<user:CategoryView ID="UC_CategoryView" runat="server" EnableViewState="True" />

</div>

Displays category area - but nothing from the back end???

Also - Following the 'back end' instructions and setting the 'Newest' items to 0 does not remove the place-holder from the frontend. If this is meant to be a modular system then it should be just that. this seams to be a bug as it can only be removed by deleting it from the template.master or commenting it out.

Paul please comment if you can thanks

Wed 18 Jan 2012 by DesignTechieUK
Paul
 Posted Thu 19 Jan 2012
große Käse

große Käse - (449,884 reputation)große Käse - (449,884 reputation)große Käse - (449,884 reputation)große Käse - (449,884 reputation)große Käse - (449,884 reputation)große Käse - (449,884 reputation)große Käse - (449,884 reputation)große Käse - (449,884 reputation)große Käse - (449,884 reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Fri 15 Sep 2023
DesignTechieUK (18/01/2012)

Following Paul's advice - I copied the HomePage.master and HomePage.master.vb into my skins folder. No surprises that is completely broke my home page. There doesn't appear to any elements built into the HomePage.master. It does restructure the whole site but not as expected.

The category Menu does not come in from the HomePage.master either as Paul describes. Instead the bits in the cntMain Place holder are in the template.master.

My point regarding the homepage.master was to *remove* this if present (which it is in our default skin) in order to get the whole site to use the template.master instead. The template.master includes a category menu, so you should then get the effect you want on the home page (category menu visible) because it will be using the template.master like the rest of the site, instead of the homepage.master which doesn't have the category menu.

DesignTechieUK (18/01/2012)
I have had a look at their styling and they seem to be using some scripting and they are not using the any of kartris menus.

Actually if you view the source HTML of their pages, it confirms they *are* using Kartris menus, not some alternative scripting.

If you view the source of the page, you will see that the left hand menu they have is using the built in CSS menu which kartris supports. Do a 'find' in the HTML source for 'cssfoldout' and you will find this.

As I mentioned in the mail which you posted:

To get a CSS fold out menu, in the back end use the search to find 'menu'. Oneof the config settings found will be menu type. Change this to 'c' (CSS) andyou will see a similar menu to the NorthwestTeas site.

The developer ICTS has done a great job with the CSS on this to style the menu a bit more exotically than our default CSS foldout menu, with background images etc. But it is the built-in Kartris CSS menu they are using...

--
If my post solves your issue, can you 'Mark as Answer' so it's easier for other users to find in future.

If you would like to be informed of new features, new releases, developments and occasional special bonuses, please sign up to our mailing list: http://bit.ly/19sKMZb
Thu 19 Jan 2012 by Paul
DesignTechieUK
 Posted Thu 19 Jan 2012
Supreme Being

Hi Paul,

Ok so I have got to that point where I can achieve the foldout menu and I can get the Category header on the front page but nothing else.

Am I missing something obvious. Also Please have a look at the Template.master in the other skins - I used 'Black and Orange' as my starting point. The line I added to my template.master is not in there.

Please could you be clearer on what I need to do to the master to achieve the category layout similar to the featured products of North West Teas.

Regards

Leon
Paul
 Posted Thu 19 Jan 2012
große Käse

große Käse - (449,884 reputation)große Käse - (449,884 reputation)große Käse - (449,884 reputation)große Käse - (449,884 reputation)große Käse - (449,884 reputation)große Käse - (449,884 reputation)große Käse - (449,884 reputation)große Käse - (449,884 reputation)große Käse - (449,884 reputation)

Could you post a link to the site? If parts of the page are blank or missing, it could indicate HTML bugs. Often worth testing on the W3C validator, or in Firefox and Chrome which tend to handle HTML errors better without losing parts of the page.

Categories and products can be displayed in several different ways. This is generally switchable.

NWT is using what looks like the 'shortened' format for featured products. You can set this from a config setting - if you search for 'feature' in back end, it will find the config setting. Change its value to 's'.

--
If my post solves your issue, can you 'Mark as Answer' so it's easier for other users to find in future.

If you would like to be informed of new features, new releases, developments and occasional special bonuses, please sign up to our mailing list: http://bit.ly/19sKMZb
DesignTechieUK
 Posted Sat 21 Jan 2012
Supreme Being

Hi Paul,

The site is being developed on my laptop to i cannot provide a link to it here. I can however provide a screenshot of what is happening.

http://www.freeaspnetcart.com/Uploads/Images/1d3ac2ae-c6b5-408a-b49c-8534.jpg

You see the category on the left is not visible in the body despite adding the User control to the template.master. I also get a random Gap above the news items which i cannot find in the code. I have removed any Spacer so its not that. 

When inspecting the news control in chrome I get this:

http://www.freeaspnetcart.com/Uploads/Images/028279b8-018f-43e7-b85c-c93f.jpg

notice how the whole control is populated:
BUT when I inspect the categories control I get this:

http://www.freeaspnetcart.com/Uploads/Images/00f485c8-88d8-48ed-a340-1d2b.jpg

That seemed a bit weird so examined the UC_ files for both and found that the category view looked like this:

http://www.freeaspnetcart.com/Uploads/Images/c9afefc2-533e-423c-8728-0345.jpg

I obviously thought this was the problem until you pointed out that it calls another template which contains the controls and is therefore not the issue.

So I am still stuck - Paul, Neil - any other takers possibly shed any further light on this?

Any help will be hugely appreciated. No matter if you think of something small or if you think it may not be significant. I will try anything.

Thanks in advance
Paul
 Posted Sat 21 Jan 2012
große Käse

Have you tried using category.aspx as a base? This page is used to display individual categories (subcats and products, as well as the category name and description). But if called with no parameters (or friendly URLs that map to parameters), it shows the top level list of categories.

You can probably use this as a base and carefully remove elements you don't need (and corresponding code-behind code) until you just go down to subcats.

--

DesignTechieUK
 Posted Sun 22 Jan 2012
Supreme Being

Hi Paul,

I take it by your reply you don't know why the category view is not working or why the user control is not working. I don't understand what you mean by starting with the Category.aspx - I can only assume you mean call that pace in the default page. 

Please be more clear with your suggestion. If this is what you mean can you please give me the code to do this. 

Can I just say I am very surprised that Kartris will handle 2 similar controls in 2 completely different ways. I believe this might be a bug and if it is it would be good to document this. I 
only have 3 days in which to find a solution or move onto another product. I am afraid that is it. 

Regards

Leon
Sun 22 Jan 2012 by DesignTechieUK
Paul
 Posted Mon 23 Jan 2012
große Käse

Leon, the usercontrol does work. Trust me, it really does. It isn't a bug and I do know how the usercontrol works. I don't really understand what you are saying about 'calling it in two different ways'.

I pointed you to the category.aspx page because if called with no category ID (i.e. just category.aspx) that does call a list of categories and display them using the control you're having problems with. So it makes sense to look at that page because it essentially does what you're trying to do - display a list of categories using the categories user control.

Please understand that we're providing support for free, but we are a business and this has to fit in around other work we have. We do have to prioritize our time to customers because it keeps the rent paid and the lights on. We can provide code and customizations as custom work if needed but if the budget is zero and you're struggling to get the code working the way you want then it may be that Kartris isn't appropriate for you in this case and I fully appreciate you may need to consider alternatives.

--