'Uploads' Folder Location

Posted By thedrumdoctor Tue 19 Apr 2016
Add to Favorites1
thedrumdoctor
 Posted Tue 19 Apr 2016
Supreme Being

Supreme Being - (61,255 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,255 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,255 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,255 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,255 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,255 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,255 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,255 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,255 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Mon 21 May 2018
For future releases, I think it would be great to be able to have the 'Uploads' & 'Images' folders located outside of the Kartris script installation.

The reason for this is, whenever there is a Kartris upgrade, we are forced to copy both of these folders to the new installation. Now, on a virgin install, this isn't a problem, but imagine a shopping site with 5 years of activity. The amount of images in there can build up and even as I write this, I am copying the contents of these folders from my V28001 sandbox site to a new sandbox V29003 site! It's taking ages......

So, would it not be better to locate these ever-growing folders to a separate location that is unaffected by upgrade installations?
Tue 19 Apr 2016 by thedrumdoctor
Tiggywiggler
 Posted Mon 25 Apr 2016
Supreme Being

Supreme Being - (105,418 reputation)Supreme Being - (105,418 reputation)Supreme Being - (105,418 reputation)Supreme Being - (105,418 reputation)Supreme Being - (105,418 reputation)Supreme Being - (105,418 reputation)Supreme Being - (105,418 reputation)Supreme Being - (105,418 reputation)Supreme Being - (105,418 reputation)

Last Active: Mon 6 Dec 2021
Hello Drum Doctor and thank you for taking the time to put your thoughts down for us. When deploying a site live there is always the option to move the images before the upgrade rather than copying them, this triggers a TOC update rather than a full copy and so the process is much faster, however, in the situation you are talking about you are trying to copy from one sandbox to another, so this will naturally require a copy.

I assume that you are thinking of having the image files in an external folder somewhere else on the server and not in the root folder of the actual website itself. While this is certainly an option when you are running your own server this is not so simple when you are in a hosted environment as the scope of locations that you can point to is tighter. Kartris can be used both on a personal server deployment and in a hosted environment and we wouldn't want to alienate the people who want to use the application in that way.

To do it on your own server you would need to create a virtual directory within IIS (because the file store would be outside of your wwwroot folder). Have you tried this method? I have not personally done this but you may be able to delete the Images folder and create a new one that points to a virtual directory. If you try this and are successful please report back so that other people can see that it is a viable method. Just makes sure that if the Kartris team release an update and have added a new resource into these folders that you copy it into wherever your virtual directory is sat.

We are always willing to help out the community or pitch in to help you fix a problem. However, if you want a complete solution made such as a code module or new feature added you have two options. Either
1) Reach out to the Kartris internal development team at http://www.kartris.com/Contact.aspx.
2) Contact one of the Kartris approved partners at http://www.kartris.com/t-Worldwide-Developers.aspx.

Have fun and good luck coding.
thedrumdoctor
 Posted Wed 27 Apr 2016
Supreme Being

Supreme Being - (61,255 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,255 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,255 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,255 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,255 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,255 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,255 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,255 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,255 reputation)

Last Active: Mon 21 May 2018
After asking this question as part of our support contract, it seems that this would cause all kinds of grief regarding permissions, especially on shared hosting, so I gave it up as a future idea! At least I can actually zip folders within my shared hosting control panel and move and unzip to a new folder location, hence discarding the need for download/upload scenarios.