Checkout/login

Posted By UKcentric Thu 31 Oct 2013
Add to Favorites0
UKcentric
 Posted Thu 31 Oct 2013
Supreme Being

Supreme Being - (25,857 reputation)Supreme Being - (25,857 reputation)Supreme Being - (25,857 reputation)Supreme Being - (25,857 reputation)Supreme Being - (25,857 reputation)Supreme Being - (25,857 reputation)Supreme Being - (25,857 reputation)Supreme Being - (25,857 reputation)Supreme Being - (25,857 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Mon 13 Apr 2015
Got a lot of problems with customers ringing up baffled about the checkout process, and lots more abandoned baskets.

(We are running Kartris 1.3 but the same problems apply to our new upgraded 2.5005 site, which we're currently building, soon to be launched).

Scenario:

- customer comes to site;
- add something to basket;
- clicks "checkout";
- is asked to login/create account - they click to create an account;
- they enter email/password etc;

At this point, you'd expect they'd be logged in. But they are not - the login status on site still says "Login". This is very confusing, but they click "Login" anyway.

- they attempt to login;
- informed there is no account under that email/password;

Some customers ring up and place the order by phone, but we feel the vast majority just give up.

Is this a general Kartris problem? How can we solve this? We know it's leading to a lot of lost business.

Tx, G.
Paul
 Posted Thu 31 Oct 2013
große Käse

große Käse - (450,364 reputation)große Käse - (450,364 reputation)große Käse - (450,364 reputation)große Käse - (450,364 reputation)große Käse - (450,364 reputation)große Käse - (450,364 reputation)große Käse - (450,364 reputation)große Käse - (450,364 reputation)große Käse - (450,364 reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Fri 15 Sep 2023
Does it happen on our site or online demos? We did recently host a site for a customer who had problems getting the checkout to work properly though. Never figured out what the problem was, we moved the site to our server and no problems at all - everything worked fine.

Just out of interest, is it on a shared host (and if so, which?) or your own server?

--
If my post solves your issue, can you 'Mark as Answer' so it's easier for other users to find in future.

If you would like to be informed of new features, new releases, developments and occasional special bonuses, please sign up to our mailing list: http://bit.ly/19sKMZb
UKcentric
 Posted Fri 1 Nov 2013
Supreme Being

Supreme Being - (25,857 reputation)Supreme Being - (25,857 reputation)Supreme Being - (25,857 reputation)Supreme Being - (25,857 reputation)Supreme Being - (25,857 reputation)Supreme Being - (25,857 reputation)Supreme Being - (25,857 reputation)Supreme Being - (25,857 reputation)Supreme Being - (25,857 reputation)

I have just tested, and yes it does happen on the online demo. Here are five screenshots showing what happens.

Site is hosted on our own servers with full control over everything. I can confirm that behaviour seems the same on both our 1.3 site and a "clean" install of 2.5005.

Screenshots attached.

Is there a setting that can cure this problem as we know our abandonment rates are being hammered due to this?

(Some customers are very persistent and do manage to place the occasional order though).
 checkout_login.png (8 views, 73.53 KB)
Paul
 Posted Sat 2 Nov 2013
große Käse

große Käse - (450,364 reputation)große Käse - (450,364 reputation)große Käse - (450,364 reputation)große Käse - (450,364 reputation)große Käse - (450,364 reputation)große Käse - (450,364 reputation)große Käse - (450,364 reputation)große Käse - (450,364 reputation)große Käse - (450,364 reputation)

I have looked at the images, but I don't see anything that is misleading or confusing, and we've had no other reports that users on other sites are finding it confusing.

Look at step 3. It appears right after they submit their account details.

It's headlined CHECKOUT and then has a box requesting they enter a billing address.

It seems pretty obvious what is required next, surely? I'm guessing someone checking out will be expecting to have to enter their address too at some point, so when a page titled 'Checkout' appears asking them to add an address, right in the main section of the page, is it really not obvious to enter an address? Honestly?

You say on image 3 'Account created'. But where does it say the account was created? It isn't created yet, and the user is not logged in. If they're creating an account while checking out, it won't be actually created until the order is created in the db (just before going off to the payment gateway).

I think people may be calling orders for a variety of reasons. But what you're suggesting is that a huge % of customers are going to checkout, entering their details, getting to the page where it asks for their street address, but are then assuming (incorrectly) that they should show as logged in at this point, and then decide to go up and login rather than continue with the checkout process that is asking for their street address. I just don't believe this is really the case.

--
If my post solves your issue, can you 'Mark as Answer' so it's easier for other users to find in future.

If you would like to be informed of new features, new releases, developments and occasional special bonuses, please sign up to our mailing list: http://bit.ly/19sKMZb
Paul
 Posted Sat 2 Nov 2013
große Käse

If you want to verify if this is the case, hide the login/status control down the foot of the page, rather than the default position at the top.

New customers, when checking out, won't then see it at the top of the page. See if this makes any difference whatsoever. I doubt it will.

--

UKcentric
 Posted Tue 5 Nov 2013
Supreme Being

OK I take your point! But I have more information from the coal-face of e-commerce BigGrin

The problem is not when the checkout flow goes basket->create account->checkout, but when the customer has created an account, and then goes off and does something else.

Very often once the customer has created their account but prior to paying, they go off around the site looking for more things to put in their basket.

When they return to checkout, they are forced to login. They try using the login details they just entered, but they are told "account not found".

It's this scenario that our customers are battling with. One minute they've created an account, next minute the site has never heard of them. Crying

Thanks, G