Installation - timeout during database creation

Posted By Ardik Sun 20 Oct 2013
Add to Favorites0
Ardik
 Posted Sun 20 Oct 2013
Supreme Being

Supreme Being - (3,915 reputation)Supreme Being - (3,915 reputation)Supreme Being - (3,915 reputation)Supreme Being - (3,915 reputation)Supreme Being - (3,915 reputation)Supreme Being - (3,915 reputation)Supreme Being - (3,915 reputation)Supreme Being - (3,915 reputation)Supreme Being - (3,915 reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Last Active: Wed 23 Oct 2013
kartris (on Win Server 2008 R2 / IIS 7) and the database (MSSQL Server 2008) live on different (and very distant) servers. An empty database (with the user needed for kartris) has been created.

After I've entered the database details (with "use existing db") during the installation there's a long delay (several minutes) until eventually a timeout message appears (see attached screenshot). I tried to increase timeout settings in IIS 7 to no avail (I may not have found the correct setting to adjust ...)

However, in the database a lot of tables and stored procedures have been created, but I can't tell whether this was complete.

When I try a 2nd time the install process *instantly* reports success. Obviously it found the database was already set up but I'm not sure whether it also checked for completeness.

The installation then finished without major issues (it keeps asking me *twice* to download web.config) and I could access the blank new store. Later, during / after data import with the Data Tool I encountered other issues and am wondering whether they might be related to an incomplete db setup.

Meanwhile I worked around that by choosing a different db location, right on the server where the kartris installation lives. The db setup step now takes a few seconds and finishes without an error message.
I plan to later copy the whole database to the other location ...

But I think the issue might be of interest. Maybe the installation process should try to catch such a timeout exception.
 Kartris Setup db timeout.png (4 views, 8.97 KB)
Mart Marked As Answer
 Posted Mon 21 Oct 2013
Top Banana

Top Banana - (84,915 reputation)Top Banana - (84,915 reputation)Top Banana - (84,915 reputation)Top Banana - (84,915 reputation)Top Banana - (84,915 reputation)Top Banana - (84,915 reputation)Top Banana - (84,915 reputation)Top Banana - (84,915 reputation)Top Banana - (84,915 reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Wed 18 Nov 2020
If you're concerned about the completion or otherwise of the database it might be better to run the db creation scripts (in a clean db) within SQL Managements studio - at least that way you'll see errors (if any).
Ardik
 Posted Mon 21 Oct 2013
Supreme Being

Supreme Being - (3,915 reputation)Supreme Being - (3,915 reputation)Supreme Being - (3,915 reputation)Supreme Being - (3,915 reputation)Supreme Being - (3,915 reputation)Supreme Being - (3,915 reputation)Supreme Being - (3,915 reputation)Supreme Being - (3,915 reputation)Supreme Being - (3,915 reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Last Active: Wed 23 Oct 2013
Thanks, I hadn't been aware of this (though I now remember I had read about it in the docs ...).
Out of curiosity I will indeed try this later.