Cookies

Posted By charlotte Fri 25 May 2012
Add to Favorites0
charlotte
 Posted Fri 25 May 2012
Supreme Being

Supreme Being - (10,471 reputation)Supreme Being - (10,471 reputation)Supreme Being - (10,471 reputation)Supreme Being - (10,471 reputation)Supreme Being - (10,471 reputation)Supreme Being - (10,471 reputation)Supreme Being - (10,471 reputation)Supreme Being - (10,471 reputation)Supreme Being - (10,471 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Wed 4 Apr 2018
Can you provide me with any information about how Kartris uses cookies, e.g cookie name and what it does.

Thanks
Mart
 Posted Fri 25 May 2012
Top Banana

Top Banana - (84,821 reputation)Top Banana - (84,821 reputation)Top Banana - (84,821 reputation)Top Banana - (84,821 reputation)Top Banana - (84,821 reputation)Top Banana - (84,821 reputation)Top Banana - (84,821 reputation)Top Banana - (84,821 reputation)Top Banana - (84,821 reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Wed 18 Nov 2020
We've had a bit of a discussion about this with the new UK rules coming in.

Essentially kartris only uses cookies to authenticate a user - when you login it hashes your password and puts it in a cookie on your machine - thereafter it can authenticate you as you move from page to page.

Obviously many customers might be using third party applications like facebook, google analytics etc that might have their own cookies.

The UK law to me seems a bit of a mess. The original aim in Europe was to address the perceived problem of "tracking cookies" (or "third party cookies" used by banner ad networks and the like to track users from site to site. This all seems to have been forgotten and in the UK its being pushed as some kind of general cookie notification law. All the same we'll probably be adding the option in a future kartris release to put a flag on the site about cookies and let people okay it (can't really give them the option to turn off cookies as things will stop working).

Seems to be this is another law that everyone will forget about soon enough - in the end if people don't want any cookies they can turn them off in their browser (and find most of  the internet out of bounds as a result).
thedrumdoctor
 Posted Mon 28 May 2012
Supreme Being

Supreme Being - (61,177 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,177 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,177 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,177 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,177 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,177 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,177 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,177 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,177 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Mon 21 May 2018
This is something I'm concerned about, though I'm not sure whether or not the ICO is another toothless dog.

The latest post about this situation on the BBC news website can be seen here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18206810

I've been looking at 3rd party add-ins such as this:

http://jpecr.dev.wolf-web-solutions.com/

However, I'm with Mart on this one believing it'll be another law that will be forgotten about because it's unenforceable. Have the ICO really got the manpower to check every website hosted on European servers or covered by European law to check for cookie opt/in opt/out facilities? I'm not aware if any auto-check software can be has been written to do this job, but it seems like a mammoth task to enforce.

And, besides which, as Mart says, turn off 1st party cookies and your shopping-site experience stops instantly.