Multi - Store setup ability

https://forum.kartris.com/Topic7172.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By SAbow - Thu 13 Aug 2020
Hi,

I know this was a discussion a number of years ago. Wondering if anyone ever got anywhere with implementing the multiple store concept. Basically, I'd have different "front-end" web store with only certain products/cats linked to each store, and then manage them all off of one Kartris backend?

Anyone did this? Any hope to include this in future release?

Thanks,

SAbow
By Tiggywiggler - Thu 2 Sep 2021
Sounds like a complicated system to implement but I can absolutely see the benefit of this. There are several sites already out there that do something similar.

Unfortunately I do not see how this would be done as a lot of the required data (e.g. images) are not in a database and are instead in the web server file directory which tends to be isolated between websites. You could setup a virtual directory but it is not going to be easy unless you are self-hosting.

I think that would be a mountain to climb if I am honest.
By Paul - Mon 27 Sep 2021
We have set up custom sites for clients that run separate kartris instances, but each night, there is a scheduled task that runs which copies a subset of data from the primary store to the secondary one, effectively copying those particular categories and products to the "sub" site.

This way, you have separate checkout processes on each, but don't need to update product data on each (could be more than one sub site set up). The scripts also copy images from the primary site to the secondary one.

It relies on both sites being on the same server, though it's probably possible to sync across the web with some modifications to the scripts (such as using FTP rather than the file system object to copy files).

We found quite a few issues with images in particular in getting them to delete and copy reliably, scripting the app pool of the sub site to turn off just before running the delete and copy routines, then restarting it afterwards seems to help.

The process is still a little complicated to setup but generally once it is setup, it runs fairly reliably now.

We may look at releasing these scripts as an add on at some point if there was demand for distributing data in this way.