VB and C#

https://forum.kartris.com/Topic2624.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Paul - Tue 3 Dec 2013
We're interested in views on the pros and cons of VB and C#. Do you think we should move over to C#, or stick with VB?
By ssaurus - Tue 3 Dec 2013
I would prefer it stays in VB but I can deal with either language. One of the reasons I started using Kartris was that it was in VB which has features I use on my extensions to the application that are not possible to do in C# like XML literals and sub routine extensions.
By bpaluch - Tue 3 Dec 2013
I vote for VB, too!
By shulemj - Wed 4 Dec 2013
VB please
By SAbow - Mon 30 Dec 2013
I prefer VB
By imbox - Fri 3 Jan 2014
VB!!!

If we change syntax every time they come up with a new compiler, we'll be on the steep learning curve forever (this is not just for Kartris, but for any software).
By Paul - Fri 3 Jan 2014
Appreciate the feedback. Over the past few years, quite a few .NET apps that were originally based on VB have switched to C#. Ideally we'd like to continue in VB, the decision ultimately comes down to whether the disruption/inconvenience to the present user base (and us!) will be offset in the long term by the number of users who may come to Kartris - C# developers do seem to be a larger community and so longer term to stay on VB we would need to gain a much larger share and a much larger profile with what is a smaller community.

Certainly any help users can give in terms of promoting Kartris, adding reviews to Codeplex and the Web App Gallery and so on all help fighting VB's corner.
By yogesh - Mon 28 Apr 2014
my vote for C# vb code is so boring to write
By yogesh - Mon 28 Apr 2014
C#one of the big cons of kartis is that its in vb
By djjohnson - Sat 3 May 2014
VB...That is why I chose Kartris....
By polychromenz - Wed 4 Jun 2014
VB I chose Kartris as its the only real option for VB devs.

We need to work out how to better promote it as there are lots of VB devs but I really struggled to find Kartris and I was looking for a VB cart. It ticked all of my boxes, VB, open source, supported, actively developed, existing user base, webapi access. I'm new here but have to say, so far I am really impressed.

We need more templates - if we had templates for Kartris on template monster then more people would find it.
By robert63 - Thu 12 Jun 2014
VB! I've been using VB since 1992 and haven't found a reason to change. I've used C#, C++, Java and the rest and VB is still a great environment to work in.

It's the reason I chose Kartris.
By Tiggywiggler - Mon 11 Aug 2014
Prefer VB all the way. Almost everything out there is C# and it is nice to find a product solution that operates in VB.
By shulemj - Thu 12 Nov 2015
Definitely VB.
By Supermac - Fri 27 Nov 2015
djjohnson (03/05/2014)
VB...That is why I chose Kartris....

me too...
By jcosmo - Fri 27 Nov 2015
There's probably a much bigger market for C#, and I personally prefer C#.

However I selected Kartris specifically because it was VB.Net. I have a couple of clients that remain on VB and don't show any indication of moving.

Although the market is smaller, remaining on VB probably has you serving a niche that is not served by your competitors.