Coupon code to create donation

https://forum.kartris.com/Topic2146.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Neil - Tue 11 Jun 2013
I have a client who works with a charity. They are thinking about an offer where a customer can enter a coupon code so 10% of the order value is donated to charity. Obviously this does not change the order value or anything like that, I really just need to be able to flag an order where the code is entered.

I guess I would need to think about writing new code to handle this. Any idea on the best way to approach this? Can anyone think an easy way to do this? Perhaps using a promotion?
By Paul - Wed 12 Jun 2013
I guess depends on a few things.

- you could just enter the code in the comments at checkout. If they read the orders carefully they'd see this, otherwise you could write something in the back end to spot it and flag it more prominently.

- if you need the site to calculate the 10% for them, again, that could be done after the event in the back end. But you might at least want to show the donation on the front end too, so the customer sees it, and maybe confirm in mail too.

- you could set up a special product - 10% to charity, that is free, and is text customizable - where you enter the coupon code. If the customer adds this item, it'll show in the order so they can't miss it when processing, and the text customization would be the special code.

These are the best options I can think of for basing the mod on, although you'd still need to make some modifications to make it ideal from the customer and store owner perspective.