Forgotten password email doesn't work

Posted By shigarr Tue 10 May 2011
Add to Favorites1
shigarr
 Posted Tue 10 May 2011
Supreme Being

Supreme Being - (601 reputation)Supreme Being - (601 reputation)Supreme Being - (601 reputation)Supreme Being - (601 reputation)Supreme Being - (601 reputation)Supreme Being - (601 reputation)Supreme Being - (601 reputation)Supreme Being - (601 reputation)Supreme Being - (601 reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Last Active: Tue 10 May 2011
Hi,

Kartris doesn't send email when user request a forgotten password link. There are two scenarios:

1. When kartris is running as a standalone website i.e. hosted at the root of the website in IIS then it works fine
  2. But when kartris is setup as a virtual directory within an existing website then it displays the message "A password reset link has been sent to [email protected]" but there is no email in the mail box
The mail server details, in configuration settings, are exactly the same for both scenarios. The kartris, in both scenarios, is running on the same server

Any clue? This is holding me up a big time to deploy the website.

Paul
 Posted Wed 11 May 2011
große Käse

große Käse - (449,484 reputation)große Käse - (449,484 reputation)große Käse - (449,484 reputation)große Käse - (449,484 reputation)große Käse - (449,484 reputation)große Käse - (449,484 reputation)große Käse - (449,484 reputation)große Käse - (449,484 reputation)große Käse - (449,484 reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Fri 15 Sep 2023
There is nothing specifically in the kartris code that should mean outgoing mail being dependent on whether a site is run in a virtual directory or not.

A couple of things to try:

1. Confirm that Kartris is calling the mail functions

The mail sending functions in Kartris have a useful test mode, which is to set the general.email.method config setting to 'write'. In this case, kartris won't send email, but instead will show the email as a popup in the browser instead. This shows the content of the mail, and the other details such as to/from.

If you put this test mode on, you should be able to verify that kartris does the same in both cases (root or virtual folder) - and shows an email popup. Assuming it does, this shows that in both cases, Kartris is firing the email functions. This suggests the problem is after that (i.e. outgoing mail server settings)

2. Verify mail can be sent from other (non-Kartris) asp.net pages in the virtual folder

Another alternative to test mail is to use a completely independent mail test script in ASP.NET (google and you should find many examples), or another asp.net application which you know sends mail. This will let you verify that you can send mail from a virtual directory without using kartris. It is important that you use the same To/From details as you are using in Kartris, because it is quite common for mail servers to act differently based on the domain of the sending/receiving address.

If you cannot send mail from the virtual directory with a test script or alternative application to kartris, then it suggests again that kartris is not the issue.

I suspect the most likely problem is rules at the SMTP server. These can be quite locked down to prevent spamming. But at least the above tests should help narrow things down in verifying whether it is a kartris issue, or an issue on the server not related to kartris that affects all applications running in virtual folders.

--
If my post solves your issue, can you 'Mark as Answer' so it's easier for other users to find in future.

If you would like to be informed of new features, new releases, developments and occasional special bonuses, please sign up to our mailing list: http://bit.ly/19sKMZb