Unable to upgrade Kartris database on staging server

Posted By thedrumdoctor Tue 4 Oct 2011
Add to Favorites0
thedrumdoctor
 Posted Tue 4 Oct 2011
Supreme Being

Supreme Being - (61,207 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,207 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,207 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,207 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,207 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,207 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,207 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,207 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,207 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Mon 21 May 2018
I'm going for the V1.2 - V1.3 upgrade.

I've installed V1.3 Kartris on a local staging server using MS installation tool.

The new database was created during Kartris setup and I chose to use Windows Authentication and named the database 'staging'.

After a few more clicks, the Kartris store in its default V1.3 flavour was setup and working ok.

Now for the data upgrade...

Having opened up the Kartris Data Tool on the staging server, I chose the option to upgrade Kartris.

first, I connected successfully to my remote V1.2 database, the source data.

For the destination database, I chose Localhost\SQLExpress, ticked the box to use Windows Authentication and entered the database name as staging.

Testing the connection, I got the error message:

"Cannot open database "staging" requested by login. The login failed. Login failed for user (my user name)"

However, my username was the credentials Kartris was installed under. How do you connect to a database installed by Kartris under local Windows Authentication?

By the way, I'm running this on Win 2003 server SP2 32bit
thedrumdoctor
 Posted Wed 5 Oct 2011
Supreme Being

Supreme Being - (61,207 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,207 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,207 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,207 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,207 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,207 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,207 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,207 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,207 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Mon 21 May 2018
FIXED!

Can't say I'm a fan of messing with SQL error messages, but it was an account permissions problem.

After applying the tweaks on this page  to the installation of SQLExpress 2008 on my staging server, I tried connecting remotely using the MS Management Studio. Connecting to the server was ok, but trying to connect to my Kartris DB named 'staging' was a no-go with the following error message:

the database staging is not accessible (objectexplorer)

I still couldn't get the Kartris Data Tool to connect to the staging DB either as it was failing with user logon problems. This is extremely confusing because:

a.) The Kartris installation & SQL Express done by the MS platform installer was installed under my admin logon account
b.) Kartris installed its own database using Windows Authentication
c.) The SQLExpress service was set to start under the Network Account

Anyway, using the SQL configuration manager on my staging server I was able to change the SQLExpress service logon to the account I was currently logged on as and then restart the service. The Kartris data tool would then connect to the staging database.