Shipping Methods not working

Posted By thedrumdoctor Mon 26 Sep 2011
Add to Favorites1
thedrumdoctor
 Posted Mon 26 Sep 2011
Supreme Being

Supreme Being - (61,207 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,207 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,207 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,207 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,207 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,207 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,207 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,207 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,207 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Mon 21 May 2018
I'm getting in a bit of a mess here setting up shipping.

Kartris is set up to calculate shipping costs by weight.

I'm also planning to switch off every country apart from the UK but this hasn't been done yet and all other countries are live.

As I'm only shipping in the UK, the postage rates are the same for small parcels. However, when large items need to be sent out we need to use other courier services. These courier services work on rates as follows:

Mainland UK: standard charge

Scottish Highlands: slightly more expensive than the standard charge

Non-Mainland UK: slightly more expensive than Scottish Highlands.

My plan of attack was to set up 3 shipping methods:

Mainland UK
Scottish Highlands
Non-Mainland UK

Weight tables and shipping costs would be appropriate for each area. The idea then was that when the customer reached checkout and looked at the shipping menu, they would see a drop-down list of the 3 choices. Depending on where they (hopefully) perceived their location was, they would pick one of the choices appropriate for their location. Unfortunately, it's only showing one of the shipping methods I've set up which is the Mainland UK method. The other 2 methods don't appear in the list, yet they are set to live.

I only have one shipping zone set live which is United Kingdom.

I'm really not sure how to tackle this issue as it's not possible to apply a 'one size fits all' solution to the UK as courier companies all charge more money to send to locations that require crossing water.
Mon 26 Sep 2011 by thedrumdoctor
Medz
 Posted Mon 26 Sep 2011
Kartris Expert

Kartris Expert - (58,874 reputation)Kartris Expert - (58,874 reputation)Kartris Expert - (58,874 reputation)Kartris Expert - (58,874 reputation)Kartris Expert - (58,874 reputation)Kartris Expert - (58,874 reputation)Kartris Expert - (58,874 reputation)Kartris Expert - (58,874 reputation)Kartris Expert - (58,874 reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Tue 3 Dec 2013
Hi, can you confirm that you've assigned the two new shipping methods to the United Kingdom shipping zone and already set their rates? If yes, would it be possible to private message me a temporary backend login so I can check it out?

I'm thinking another way of doing this is by creating separate countries for the two other locations and assigning them their own shipping zones. In this way you'll have 3 selection in the countries dropdown ->

UK - Mainland
UK - Non Mainland
UK - Scottish Highlands

You'll then just end up with a single shipping method based on the selected country everytime.

It still depends with the customer selecting the correct location for everything to work correctly though.
thedrumdoctor
 Posted Mon 26 Sep 2011
Supreme Being

Supreme Being - (61,207 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,207 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,207 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,207 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,207 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,207 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,207 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,207 reputation)Supreme Being - (61,207 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Mon 21 May 2018
Ahaaaa....that explains it!

I had never assigned the two new shipping methods to the United Kingdom shipping zone and set their rates. The minute I assigned the UK shipping zone to the other two shipping methods they  appeared as a shipping option at checkout. Just have to input the rates now into the two other shipping methods as they're showing zero cost!

Thanks for that. I just couldn't figure out how the two settings married up. I had looked at the manual but must have grossly misunderstood what the procedure was.